The Abington Public Library
History and Mission
The Abington Public Library is a member of the Old Colony Library Network (OCLN). The Old Colony Library Network (OCLN) is a cooperative of 28 member libraries located on the South Shore of Massachusetts. OCLN membership includes 26 town and city libraries and 2 academic libraries. Cardholders at the Abington Public Library are eligible to use the resources of all of the OCLN libraries.
The Abington Public Library strengthens the community by providing resources and programs which enhance learning and cultural connections for all residents.
Voted by the Board of Library Trustees September 12, 2022.
Public Library service began in Abington in 1878. Two libraries were established by Town Meeting: a branch in the Abington Mutual Fire Insurance Building on Washington Street in Centre Abington, and a branch in North Abington which was located in various homes until Webster Wales gave up space in his parlor on Adams Street. The town maintained the two libraries in various rented locations until 1977. At that time, the Abington Public Library in the Dyer Building closed and merged with the Burton L. Wales Public Library, located in the Town Hall in the former North Abington Congregational Church on Randolph Street. Although the Burton L. Wales Public Library was cheerful and cozy, the space soon became too small for a growing community.
In 1984, a long range planning process illustrated that library service for Abington was seriously constrained by the lack of space in an inaccessible and deteriorating building. In 1987 the Building Fund for a New Public Library was established. In 1993, the Town voted to place three acres of land near Abington High School under the jurisdiction of the Trustees for the purpose of building a new library. In 1995, the Board applied for and received a $1,300,000 public library construction grant, administered by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. The new Abington Public Library opened its doors for public service on December 17, 1997.